The baroque chapel of St. Sebastian from the 1715 is situated on the Palackého Square in Uherské Hradiště. At the end of the 1960’s the decision to shift the chapel nine meters south-east was taken because of the square roads adjustment. At the beginning of the year 1969 the hundred tons heavy chapel was elevated on a new concrete slab to the height of 1.5 meters and it has been shifted on a special transport carriages. This was the first shifted building in the country; the well-known dean church in Most shifting has followed.
Besides the technical faults elimination the goal of the renovation was to emphasize the history of the chapel and the legend of St. Sebastian. In the first variant the texts rise plastically from the heavy steel entrance door. Behind the glass door inside the darkened chapel an installation of laser rays is made as an analogy to arrows. In the second variant the text with a simple cross are installed into a steel carpet extended from the entrance to the back wall.
- Palackého nám., Uherské Hradiště, CZ
- Uherské Hradiště Municipality
- Jiří Knesl, Jakub Kynčl
- project phase:
- project period:
- building period:
- floor area:
- 11 m2